Organic contaminants are undesirable, harmful substances, which are found at trace level in foodstuffs. They are not present in food due to a deliberate action, but find their way into it through contact with air, water or soil. Or are generated during manufacturing, as process contaminants such as acrylamide or 3-monochloropropane-1,2-diol (3-MCPD).
Food producers need to ensure that their products are toxicologically safe and in compliance with all legal requirements through the use of analytical testing.
Organic Contaminants Testing
Eurofins offers a wide variety of analysis of organic contaminants including:
- 3-monochloropropane-1,2-diol (3-MCPD) and 2- and 3-monochloropropane-1,2-diol esters (2- and 3-MCPD esters)
- 4-methylimidazole (4-MI)
- chlorate, perchlorate
- chlorophenols, such as pentachlorophenol (PCP)
- dichloropropanols (DCP)
- dicyandiamide (DCD)
- disinfectants, e.g. quaternary ammonium compounds, such as DDAC and BAC
- ethyl carbamate
- glycidyl esters
- illegal dyes: sudan dyes and other illegal dyes
- melamine and other structurally related compounds such as cyanuric acid, ammelide and ammeline
- mineral Oil Saturated Hydrocarbons (MOSH), Mineral Oil Aromatic Hydrocarbons (MOAH) and Polyolefin Oligomeric Saturated Hydrocarbons (POSH)
- plasticisers, such as phthalates / adipates
- polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH)
- residual solvents (such as BTEX and VCH)
- semicarbazide (SEM), photoinitiators (isopropyl thioxanthone: ITX; 2-ethylhexyl 4-dimethylaminobenzoate: EHDAB).
For more information about Eurofins food testing services please contact our sales team on 0845 604 6740 or make an enquiry.